Before we dive into the detailed portion of SEO ( search engine optimization ) with the techniques, facts, algorithms, and aspects: let’s discover the fundamentals. You will go through an extensive overview of SEO from here.
If you are a newbie here then this guide is going to provide you almost all aspects you are looking for SEO. This includes searching methods of keywords and phrases that can help you generate massive traffic to your website, the way you can make your website search engine friendly, and link building: that can be the marketing process for your business with the help of other websites.
We are living in a tech-dominated world where you can find information easily and a huge amount of information could make you confused. Well, SEO is a bit complex procedure and it’s constantly updating with all of the aspects. Not to worry, if you can gather knowledge and ideas, it won’t take much time to understand the basics of SEO.
This guide will lead you to your desire and explain to you about the aspects you have to know to understand SEO in this tech ruled era.
Steps Of SEO
Here we have assembled six steps you need to follow to get successful SEO. Some of them could feel familiar to you because of “network effects”. Let’s have a glimpse over the steps following-
- Healthy crawling accessibility that search engines could read your website properly.
- Providing a solution that your users are seeking from your website.
- A proper keyword optimization to attract both of your search engines and your target audience.
- An attractive user interface of your website with a fast-loading capability.
- High quality and relevant content that can gain backlink, amplification, and citation.
- Balanced URL, meta tags, titles to increase the CTR of your website.
We will cover the briefs over these six steps throughout this guide. We offered it in a sectionalize view here to help you understand the whole journey.
Chapter 1: Your Guide To Success
Welcome to the very first chapter of our journey. If you have ideas that what is SEO and how it works then you can directly scroll over chapter 2.
Here you will know about the fundamentals of search engine optimization and gain the confidence to start. Let’s get started with the most common question you can ask to step out for this journey-
1.1 What is SEO?
SEO stands for “Search Engine Optimization”. When you are about to increase the quality of the website and the quantity of your website’s traffic at the same time, then SEO could be your best practice.
N.B: SEO applied to increase your traffic using non-paid methods mainly.
As you can see the abbreviation of SEO, that holds search engine within but its more about your audience. What people are searching over the internet, words they are using to search, types of content they are liking to stick with. When you will know the answers then you can understand their pulse and this is your big catch to improve your business.
If you can imagine SEO as a coin, then one side of the coin is understanding the users who are seeking their quires over online. The other side is to provide the answers in a way that search engines and users both could understand your effort.
1.2 Search Engine Mechanism and Organic Search
Well, search engines are answering machines, they can show you possible solutions/answers that you are asking for. When you put your keywords over the search bar and press the enter button, thousands of factors got to work to find out the appropriate result for you from billions of websites and listings.
Via “Crawling and Indexing” search engines mainly perform their actions. The algorithms categorize the webpages and find out the related ones over your search results.
N.B: we will cover a detailed script over crawling and indexing in the next chapter.
Organic search results are the ones that got the attention of your visitors through the proper utilizing of SEO and its an unpaid method. When someone will see their results, the first three/four results are paid: which got PPC ( pay per click methodology ) and the remaining results below them are organic results.
The features won’t perform in regular formate because there are some algorithms that determine property data sources first than paid advertisements like IMDB, Wikipedia, etc.
1.3 The Importance of SEO
Which is the best platform to draw traffic over your website? Search Engines. Though there are some other platforms like social media, PPC ( pay per click ), etc.
If you look over you can know that there are some surveys that are saying that organic search results get more hit than the paid advertisements in both mobile and desktop form. So, if you are worried about the profit margin of your business then SEO could be the only solution.
Owning an optimizing website could help the search engines to index the content of your website in a short time and reward if it deserves to get them ranked.
1.4 White Hat SEO and Black Hat SEO
There are several differences between these two types of practicing. As you can see that white hat SEO consists of general aspects, rules, and strategies to reach out to more traffic, while black hat SEO refers to the strategies to a SPAM for search engines and make them fool. Practicing black hat SEO could succeed in some cases but this will put your website at high risk to get penalized with ethical complications.
If you get a penalty for your actions over your website, this could affect your whole business. So, choose your SEO expert or agency carefully.
Here in the next segment, we will share with you the guidelines from Google Webmasters about the working principles to get in the rank and the approaches you should not make in order to make your website safe.
1.5 Google Webmaster Guidelines
Principles to follow-
- Optimize your website for your users instead of search engines.
- Make your users believe that you are genuine and relevant.
- Always keep in your head that, there are thousands of customers. To stand out from this, you need to give something productive.
- Your website should be unique and engaging at the same time.
Things to Avoid-
- Spinning Content / auto-generated content.
- Provide fake/ duplicate content.
- Hidden texts and links.
- Using of Doorway pages.
1.6 Bing Webmaster Guideline
Principles to follow-
- Provide easily accessible and engaging content that is related to your business.
- Try to grow your link organically as they are representing your popularity.
- Your titles and meta tags should be appropriate.
- Prioritize the social sharing of the content of your website.
- The speed of your webpage is an important fact.
- Help bing to understand your images by putting tags over them.
Things to Avoid-
- Publishing Content that is not related to your website.
- Keyword stuffing.
- Copy Content/fake content uploading.
1.7 Guidelines to thrive your Local Business over Google
When you own a local business then you need to apply local SEO: that will help your website to be found over the local search results. In this case, you must need to be listed in Google My Business. For your local business, there are some guidelines-
Principles to follow-
- You have to fulfill every requirement to be present in Google My Business listing. Like, you must have to provide your physical location to get include in Google Maps.
- Be consistent about your NAP data here. NAP data stands for your business’s name, address, phone number.
Things to Avoid-
- If you do not have any organization then do not waste your time.
- Do not fake any information about your business over this place.
- To be more specific to get visible over the map, start P/O box numbers.
- Do not abuse the review section of your business by providing fake reviews.
1.8 Understand Your Users and their Goal
The guidelines we have shown you from versatile platforms to help your website by getting a higher rank over SERP. The whole journey depends on the most in one thing and this is to understand your users.
Well, the words that your users are using while they are performing a search are known as keywords. There are basically three basic types of keywords and they are–
- Informational: When some is conducting a search to know anything.
- Navigational: When someone is conducting a search to find any place/product/service within a geographical area.
- Commercial: when someone is conducting a search with an intent to buy any product/service.
To get your keywords there are several platforms to find. You can use some paid tools also know genuine keywords, LSI keywords, related keywords, and competitions from these tools or websites.
Every business website has its own purposes and business goals to accomplish. Throughout these purposes, you can understand the SEO aspects of your website and the places you have to apply the campaign. The moment you are putting your concentration over SEO, you need to understand the KPI ( key performance indicator ) of your business.
Here are some KPIs you can use-
- Email Marketing
- Phone Calls
- Form Submission
Before reaching to the SEO experts, you need to know the KPI of your business from inside out. You can not imagine how important this campaign is for your business until you are practicing proper SEO you can achieve your goals and it will take time.
Ok! Its time to jump in the next chapter. Let’s check out the pandora’s box to learn something more about SEO.
How it works: Crawling-Indexing-Ranking
We already have said that search engines are like an answering machine. They will find out the best website for you which intimates with your query. In this article, we will give you a short tour of how the whole process completes the final result.
If you want to get rank for a specific keyword on Google search results, then you need to get indexed first. This is how you could be found by search engines. If you are not there then it does not make any sense to get worried about your SEO campaign.
What is the working principle of Search Engines?
Well, there are three major functions which held one after another during the conduction of the whole procedure. Here they are-
- Crawling- Dragging the content of the website over the URL structures.
- Indexing- Store the content as the crawling has done successfully. If your content gets indexed then it is ready to appear against any related search queries.
- Ranking- the Search engine will order the content as which is most relevant to the query from the least related.
This is the way when search engines use some robots ( which are also known as google bot/spiders ) to identify new and updated content. Content could stay in different formats like PDF, image, video, article, infographics, etc. Google bots start to following the links then to URLs to determine the content withing these URLs. Crawlers are capable to find new content and add it to their new index: caffeine. Which is actually a database that keeps the track of URLs.
2.2 How Ranking Performs through Indexing
If someone conducts a search then search engines look over their index and find which content is the most relevant and then arrange them in order to their capabilities to solve the user’s query. This ordering technique is known as ranking. If you give a birds-eye view, then you can see that the more your website will perform well the more it will gain the crawling ability for the search engines.
Well, you can stop crawlers to access all the portions of your website. At the same time if your one to showcase your content to your customers you need to make it visible for crawlers first.
2.3 In-depth of Crawling
In the previous section, we have shown you how crawling and indexing are the root of getting found over the SERP ( search engine results pages ). If you have your own website then you can start with finding how many of your content got indexed. From analyzing this, you can know which portions of your website got indexed in google already.
To perform this, you need to search in your search box writing“Site:yourdomainname.com” like “site:localmybiz.com” then there will be results on the left top corner. Google will show a fixed number of results about your results. This is how you can determine the number of content which already has indexed over Google.
If you want more specific results then you can do something different. Go to Google Search Console and sign up with your account. After entering this place you have to upload your sitemap and then you can see how many pages of your business website got indexed over Google.
Well, if you do not yet get indexed then there could be few reasons responsible for this and some of them are-
- Your site is absolutely new and the crawling session is still awaited.
- Your website is lacking from backlinks which you can get from other websites.
- The navigation of your site is failing to wave crawling bots.
- Your website might contain some issues that are restricting google bots to visit your site.
- You got penalized for any issue by Google.
If you want to hide anything from crawling of your website then there are some ways to do this. Well, not everyone lets google crawl their whole website if there are broken URLs and old unhealthy content and test pages.
Here we will discuss a famous way to stop google bots from your website.
This portion stays in the base directory of your website and it has the power to decide which parts of the website should be crawled and which aren’t. Well, it’s not about the area it’s about the speed also; that can control the speed of the crawling of your website.
Here we will see how the crawlers ( google bots ) handle these robots.txt files-
- If Google bot can not find the robot.txt inside your website they will go through and check the whole website.
- If it finds any robot.txt then it will ignore as the command and proceed through the remaining part.
- If Google bot finds an error to identify whether there is a rorbot.txt or not, it won’t scroll your website.
2.5 How crawlers find your content?
We have discussed the procedure of defending crawlers to read all of your website’s and in this section, we will discuss the procedure of how you can give a sign to crawlers to check your website’s important pages quickly.
In most of the cases, crawlers will find the whole of your website’s content but sometimes it performs failure to crawl some obscure content and webpage. You need to make sure that, the search engine should crawl all the areas you have to indexed. Let’s check out some situation by which you can fall into the case-
- If you are providing a form for your users to fill it before they can log in to your website, that can not be read by the crawlers because these bots are not able to read any form.
- When you are putting any text that you need to be indexed within the non-text format like images, videos, and gifs. It could create a problem to operate these kinds of content. To ensure the best result try to put your texts over markup.
2.6 Site Navigation to Crawling Bots
If you have backlinks from other pages, it would be helpful for your webpage to get read by the crawlers. At the same time, if your pages have a link to dive into other pages which are called internal linking, it could be also helpful to get crawled by the google bots. If you do the mistake of put alone one of your webpages without any internal linking that there is a high probability that, it would n’t be noticed by the Google bots.
Here we will see some mistakes you have to avoid to disrupted crawlers from reading your website-
- If you have a mobile-friendly website, that’s perfect but remember that your mobile version and desktop version partially showing the same results while surfing by users.
- Your menu items should be in the HTML form. Because google bots have their specialization to read java scripts data.
- If you forget to link a webpage of your website from any-other pages, it would face problems with crawling.
Links are mainly the paths that google bots are using to read your whole website and index the components. To create a sitemap that you can use to show google about the importance of the webpages.
A sitemap is a database with URLs that can help google bots to understand the internal map of your website. You can also submit your sitemap on Google search console to make the crawling procedure a bit fast.
Indexing: How your pages are being stored!
After the closing of the crawling of your webpages, you need to know the procedure of how the elements are storing which is known as “indexing”. It’s true that if your site has been crawled but it doesn’t necessarily index all of the elements. In our previous segment, we have discussed the whole procedure of crawling and here we will show how search engines store your webpages’ elements that when someone will conduct a search can get immediately.
2.7 What if some pages get abandoned from Indexing?
It’s not absolute that, when your webpage gets indexed it will be there forever. It could be removed from the indexing though. Here we will see some reasons you can face the situation-
- If someone puts your URL and that shows “not found error ( 4** )” or server error ( 5** ) then your page could get lost from the indexing list.
- If you got a no-index meta tag over the URL of your website.
- If you are not following the guidelines provided by Google webmasters.
- If it requires a password before entering your website.
These are the possible reasons your website could lose its position from the search engine’s storing. If you felt the way then the possible solution is to visit Google’s URL inspection tool to know your webpage’s current position. You can resubmit your website’s URL over google by maintaining proper rules.
2.8 How to attract search engines to crawl your website?
Meta tags are the way to wave at search engine bots. You can instruct through meta tags and these include, show them which portions they are allowed and where you don’t want them to read. In the head of your pages, which are known as “robots meta tag”; you can give this instruction. There is another way which is “X-robots-tag”. In following we will give you a clue about the working procedure of both of these systems.
Robots Meta tag
As we have said earlier, you can use robots meta tag on the head of your page. The way is suitable to understand all types of search engines.
“Index” and “noindex” instructs which portion of your website got stored on the web and which aren’t. When you are using the command “index” you are partially saying google bots to store your content. On the other hand, when you are using the command “noindex” you are about the stop bots to store that particular content. If you want to trim your thin pages from indexing you can use that command too.
“follow/nofollow” are the commands you can use to tell your bots which link should be followed and which aren’t. If the bots are following the link then they can visit other pages of your website. If you use “nofollow” then search bots will not pass through the links of that certain page. Nofollow often used with ‘noindex” to prevent a whole page from indexing.
“Noarchive” is used to saving a cached copy of your website. By default search, bots will copy all visible elements of your webpages and then show it to users from the cached version according to their search intent. If you are using an e-commerce site then you can use this command because your pricing and featuring are always in change.
This tag is usable over your HTTP header. Using of z-robots-tag will provide more flexibility than robots meta tags. These tags can stop search bots to scale a whole segment of your webpage. To save an entire file or folder these tags could be used.
Ranking: How search engines rearrange websites
Do you know how search engines arrange all the websites and then re-arrange them according to their relevancy of your search topic? The whole process is known as ranking. To identify the most relevant results, search engines use algorithms. Algorithms retrieved stored ( indexed ) information and assembled them in order. There are many updates that catch these algorithms to provide better results.
Why do algorithms change a lot? Well, search engines will never let you know the reason behind this question but you can assume that it’s for the betterment of searching.
2.10 What Search Engines look for?
Its very simple search engines always look for the best answers that the users are searching for. This is when you have to get introduced with the term “search engine optimization”.
The moment when search engine crawlers content its easier to mark them against the searching keywords. If you are posting content that has more keywords as the same your search engine demands then logically you are getting rank but it’s not done. Possibly you are over-stuffing. This will give a terrible experience to your users and this is why algorithms are getting constant updates moving to provide better solutions every time.
2.11 The Role of Links in SEO
There are two types of links basically. One of them is the “Inbound” link which is also known as backlink and the other one is the “Internal link”. Backlinks are links from other websites, which indicates your website from their sites which is basically a promoting method. On the other hand, internal links are links that you are indicating the other pages of your own website.
Links play a vital role if you are concerned about your SEO techniques. From the early age search engines are looking for trustworthy websites and when they get these websites the search engines give them a better rank. Websites that pointed from other websites is one of that method which could help.
Well, there could three or four scenarios that occur by putting inbound linking. Let’s have a look –
- Get links from other reputed websites- This will consider a good sign of authenticity.
- Get links from your self- You could consider as a biased person so this will not count as a good sign.
- Get links from low-quality authors- This is not also a good sign and could be count as spam.
- Get Links from no websites- No secure authorization.
2.12 The Role of Content in SEO
When you have got links that are linking a webpage and where there is content. Now, content is more than just words. There are several types of content like video content, podcast, and text of course. If search engines are answering machines then they are mapping content to deliver those answers.
When a user performs a search over the search bar, search engines show millions of results and content are one of the most important fact to determine the position of your website’s position. This is all about when the algorithms will justify your website and the keyword at the same time to find the relevancy.
Among hundreds of facts and algorithms, there are three major facts that plays a major role while determining search results. They are links, content, and RankBrain. Here in the next segment, we will discuss the rank brain.
2.13 What is Rank Brain!
Its a component of the machine learning segment of Google search algorithms. AI algorithms Continuously go through several updates to improve predictions. Like if this algorithm notices a lower ranking website is providing better results than a higher ranking website than it could change the organized result within a short period.
2.14 Engagement Metrics
There are some metrics to help up the algorithms to divide into their tasks and help them over. They are-
- Clicks ( visiting through search )
- Time on Page ( whole amount of the time of a visitor spending in your website before leaving )
- Bounce Rate ( is the single page session and it will be determined by the other page sessions of the same website )
- Pogo-sticking ( clicking and returning immediately on the SERP )
These metrics are co-related to your path to a higher ranking.
2.15 The Evolution Of Searching Methodologies
Do you hear about the “10 blue links” structure? Well before a decade when search engines did not get advanced algorithms they used to have this technology as SERP. Actually, these 10 links are 10 organic search results. After then Google has brought major changes while showing the SERP and they call it “SERP features”. Some of them are showing below-
- Paid advertisement
- People also ask boxes
- Map Results ( local search )
In most cases, search results varied according to your searching genre. Here you can see the types-
Question with one answer
2.16 What is Local Search?
From the local business listing, Google admires local search results. When someone is searching for a service/product over a specific geographical area that performs a local search. When Google shows the local search result, it considers three major facts-
Chapter 3: Researching your Keywords
You need to understand your customer’s demand!
We have discussed the procedure of showing up over SERP ( search engine results pages ) with you and in this article, we will show you how to research your keywords to find the appropriate ones for your content and how can you utilize those.
When you will have a better idea about your target market and your audience along with their pulse of searching, you can be good at keyword researching. To dig better, there are some questions you have to ask yourself-
- What exactly people are searching for?
- How many people are searching for that particular thing?
- In what format they are demanding the solution.
In this section, we will try to cover the tactics and the procedures you need to go through. To avoid foibles and make a strong start you will need these strategies to apply. The moment you can know the pulse of your customer’s searching method, you will discover a new era of your SEO campaign.
3.1 Ask Questions!
As we have said earlier when you are about to bring a change to your business using Search engine optimization you need to know your customers briefly. This is the place where many marketers got failed or they just bypass this scenario because they know their keywords then why to invest time for customers?
Well, there are differences between your keywords and your customer’s demand. You can make these two things the same when you will focus on the second one. To know your audience will hone your strategies to apply over them. By using an example will clarify your thoughts. Let’s assume you are a local businessman and you own a confectionary store. Now to determine your customers you need to put your questions in some sections like-
- What types of chocolates, snacks, icecreams, and cakes people are searching for?
- Who is searching for these items?
- When they are performing a search more?
- If there any seasonal trend?
- How they are searching for ice cream?
- What are the words they are using?
- Drom which device they are searching for more?
- Why are they seeking icecream?
- Do they have the intent to buy or they are just curious?
- Where do they live?
The moment you will know all the answers then you can do something good with your confectionary business. These steps will guide you towards your keywords. To utilize your keywords properly you can surely bring leads to your website.
3.2 Discovering Your Keywords
Of course, you certainly know some keywords already about your business and those are about your products, services, your address and many more. You can add those keywords to the keyword research tool to know the average monthly search volume. This will help you to create a better sketch of your business.
In these tools and applications, you will get something more except average monthly search volume. When you will enter the keyword in the box you can see other keywords, questions associated with those keywords. The search volume of your keywords could differ according to their competition.
This is why working with lower search volume keywords is easy. People will find out easily then. In the next segment we will show you what is search volume and how it works and then you can understand the prioritizing of keywords.
3.3 Search Volume
Well, the higher the search volume will conduct a keyword, you need to do more work to rank for this one. This is sometimes known as keyword difficulty. If some SERP features have to appear for the same keyword then it will be challenging for you.
The organic ranking will be tough if your chosen keywords have got higher search volume. This is why we have said that working with long-tail keywords could be easy as they have less competition. Let’s know about long-tail keywords here.
3.4 Long-tail keywords
If you can rank for a specif keyword which got a million searches a month, it would be dreamy. But is it possible yet? Well, there are thousands of companies who are already in the game and they have thousands of content and they are paying for the advertisements regularly.
Whether there are difficulties with short and specific keywords, on the other hand, long-tail keywords are easy to rank. In their recent update ( October 2019 ), Google has announced to work on long-tail keywords. The market is changing and people are being more specified with their keywords while searching.
They are might less popular but soon they can convert and your website could face huge traffic. As all of us know that, these days people are data-driven and they are being more specific as days are passing.
3.5 How to be Strategic about your keywords
When you have ideas about your keywords and how the search volume of keywords can affect your business its time to know how searches could differ from versatile aspects. Here in the next segment, you can see different aspects of keywords and their working principles-
- Keywords by a competitor: After collecting keywords for your business, you can see a lot of keywords but which are the most effective ones for your local business? How could you identify them? You can check your competitor’s keywords and then utilize the chances they are missing out!
- Keywords by season: If you know seasonal trends then it can bring advantage to your content. Like if you are selling gift items and you know the Christmas box will be in high demand from November to December. At that time you can work on this specific keyword to gain more leads.
- Keywords by Region: When you search something with narrowing by a specific location then it might be helpful. You can get help from google keyword planner and google trend about search interests in a specific region.
3.6 Keyword Varieties through Searcher’s intent
In the previous chapter, we have discussed SERP features and this thing will help you to understand searcher’s intent. People do use different techniques when they do search over the internet and among those thousand search types, we will visit some major ones-
- Informational Queries: When a user needs any information and they perform a search over the box. Like ‘Michel Jackson albums”.
- Navigational Queries: When a user needs something from a specific geographical area. Like “Beauty salon near manhattan”
- Transactional Queries: Searcher searches with an intent to buy something or make a purchase. Like “buy la Liga tickets”
- Commercial Queries: User searches for comparing a product and choose the best one for them. Like, “Galaxy s10 vs iPhone X”.
- Local Queries: When someone finding a solution or service locally. Like, “pasty shop nearby”
3.7 Tools for determining best keywords
In this segment, we will introduce some tools that can help you to find keywords related to your business-
- Google Keyword Planner- This place is one of the best places to find keywords. You can find out any sort of keywords along with related searches from here. The only difficulty is this tool will not restrict lumping keywords.
- Google Trends- Are you looking for seasonal keyword fluctuations? This tool could help you the most. Like you are selling new year gifts then you can check keywords current condition during this season.
- AnswerThePublic– This tool gathers the questions which are related to specific keywords. While using this tool you can find another keyword researching tool to get the best result.
After reading the whole chapter you can easily identify that what your target audience is searching and what are the things they are depending to perform that search. Now its time to move on the next chapter where you would learn about optimizing your website in a way that users will love.
Chapter 4: On-Page Search Engine Optimization
When you know what are the things your customers are finding over the market and how to get related keywords, then you need to know about On-page SEO. This is the practice of decorating your content that will attract customers and understandable by the search engines. In this chapter, we will go through a brief discussion of the content creation system.
4.1 Let’s start with Keyword Optimization
In the previous chapter, you have learned the way to know your customer’s perception. Now, here in this chapter, we will learn how this perception can be utilized to grow your business. Let’s have a glance over the rules to follow while researching your keywords-
- Research your keywords and audience firstly. Then separate them based on their intent and topics. Now you can make separate pages for each of them on your website.
- When you are seeing related SERP of your business and visiting the websites, note down these things-
- Are there a lot of videos on those websites?
- What is the size of the content? Long or short?
- What are the most common types of content they have provided?
- Think about your own craft’s supremacy. For which work people will contact you?
This is the principal theme of on-page SEO. This will help you to convert your research to your content for those people who will get attracted to your website. So, always try to maintain the quality of your content.
4.2 Things you Need to Avoid
What is the purpose of your web content ? to guide your users to their solutions in a proper way and to help them understand what your site is offering to them. Google always has been said that creating content should not be just because of getting a higher position on SERP, it should help users. When you will provide high-quality content and practice SEO then automatically your website will get its desired position. We have discussed the tactics in the last chapter though.
Here we will see some criteria you need to avoid to provide poor content-
- Auto-Generated Content: We probably can start with this one. Auto generating content creation is an offensive way to your path of low-quality content. There are several websites that are taking this path instead of providing quality content to gain a higher rank by fooling the search engines.
Well, machine learning has developed a lot and you can not get focused by doing these types of occurrences.
- Keyword-Stuffing: If you put a huge amount of keywords that you have targeted over your content, what will happen? Yes, Google looks for keywords over your content but you have to maintain the quality and relevancy when you are providing keywords.
On the other hand, if you put a lot of keywords in your single paragraph it can not help your users and drive them to leave quickly.
- Duplicate Content: Duplicate content shares the same content between different domains or among several pages of the same website. This could happen if you copy some content and re-publish it or making a slight change instead of producing a brand new copy.
To avoid penalties from the search engine you should not follow this path. This may get you lots of content but at the end of the day, you can not bring a significant change.
- Cloaking: There is an important guideline from Google that says, you have to show the same thing to your crawlers and your human visitors. That means you can not hide anything within your HTML code that a user can not see.
When you break this rule, this will consider as cloaking. This thing could be done in various ways and they can affect your website in both negative and positive ways.
- Thin Content: There was an older content strategy and it was like offering more keywords on your webpage to get ranked in a shorter span of time. This was a very common fact and this might get your webpage over-stuffing with keywords. There are lots of websites that got many pages inside of their website saying the same thing.
If you got a webpage and provides content which is quite similar to each other then it will identify as thin content. Your users will be clueless to find the actual answer and then leave your website by increasing your bounce rate.
These are not healthy practices for your website this day. Google was n’t so good with its algorithms to identify the over-stuffing of keywords. After providing major updates Google now penalizes and reports websites that got thin and low-quality content.
Well, we have shared the possible ways you can bring loss to your website. To provide content just remember that, you have to make your users happy by providing them the absolute answer in a way that they will enjoy instead of fooling search engines.
4.3 What You have to do?
There are no magical waves you can do to get a better rank. Search engines always look for a single thing that, you have to provide the best answers to the searcher’s question. You surely can avoid the facts we have discussed but will it be enough? You need to practice a betterment always to gain and most importantly keep the position over SERP. You can see these methods while creating content to ensure the best result:
- Search the exact keywords you want to rank for. ( you as your website )
- Identify which pages are getting ranked for those keywords.
- Determine and note the quality of those pages.
- Try to do better than those pages from the next time.
Let’s share something very exciting! When you will do better than your web pages that got rank, this procedure is known as “10x content”. Though the procedure will be hard, if you are able to do this you can certainly get a huge gift from Google. They will give you natural backlinks over that page! So, what are you thinking?
4.4 NAP Data
When you are operating a business and you need to make a call with your customer by face-to-face then you have to be consistent with your NAP data which means including your name, address & phone number. On many websites, you can see that they provide NAP data on the header or footer section of that website. You can also provide another single page called “contact us”.
On the other hand, if you have a multi-location business then you need to provide your locations on different pages.
4.5 Differences Between Local Vs National vs International Business
You may have heard the name of local business and the practices of local SEO for those types of businesses. But there are also businesses that cover national spaces like whole Mexico or there are some international businesses.
When you are operating a local business, then you need to do all the things to allocate and grab your local audience and as a national and international business, you have to remember that you are global. In the next segment, we will share facts except for content which is necessary for your website.
4.6 Optimizations for your Website
When you read this section you can understand the changes you need to bring besides the quality content of your website. Let’s have a look-
Header Tags: These are HTML tags of your website which represent the headings of that page. The main header tag is known as “H1”. There are also headings describing from H1 to H6. Well, of them are not essential but the H1 is. The H1 ta actually offers the main title of the whole page. To make a better purpose you must have to add relevant keywords with an H1 tag to attract your viewers. And also remember the things you must not add in the H1 tag like your navigational button or contact numbers.
The things you will use in your headers will help the search engine to understand your page’s description and then rank your webpage. This is one of the important factors when you are applying an SEO campaign especially.
Internal Links: In chapter 2 we have discussed the crawling system and the importance of it. Now a part of crawlability lies on internal linking too. There are some facts that work beyond this linking system. Let’s discover how the system works through-
- Link Accessibility- which links are required users click, in most cases, they seem to be unavailable to the crawlers. This is why you might face a problem with the indexing of those pages.
- Anchor text- Anchor texts are actually connected you with links. Anchor texts mainly send signals to search engines regarding a specific page. E.g.- “Example Anchor Text”
- Link Volume- Google suggests to limit the link numbers in a webpage. This is an official Google announcement. Well, using a lot of links will not cause you penalty but Google will use this to evaluate your webpage. So, you should sustain the limit.
- Redirection- it’s partially easy to remove a page or change the name of the page. But what if you want to move a whole page? In case, do not forget to update the links to the old URL. Then redirect the URL to its new location. If you can then you can update all the links to that URL then the users and crawlers both need not wait to redirection.
- Alt Text- Using Alternative text is one of the principal web accessibility because that helps the persons to understand a picture who got vision impairment. It’s necessary to be present there because search engine crawlers look for it to understand the image. You need to make sure that your alt tags are easy and you are not over-stuffing your tags with keywords.
- Submitting Image Site Map- If you want a quick crawling of your webpages along with your images then you can submit an image site map to Google site map. It will help you to grab a quick visit from google bots.
- Image Optimization- Do you know, images could be the reason for your slower web page? The best way to avoid this is to compress the image size as a suitable format for your website. There are hundreds of websites you can resize your image or you can do it by yourself. Here are some tips to choose the right format of the image-
- If you required animation then you can use a short GIF. format.
- If you need not show high-quality images then you can use JPEG. format.
- If you need to show a high-quality image then you can use PNG. format. ( there are two types of PNG images, PNG-24 and PNG-8, use them based on your color )
4.7 Formatting for best Readability and Featured Snippets
It’s important to provide quality content cause this will grab you more consumers and which could be better marketing good than a satisfied consumer? Here in this section, we will share some principles to increase the readability of your content. Though it doesn’t ensure that people will read it thoroughly but these will definitely increase your readability. Let’s have a look over the principles-
- Text Size and Color– Try to avoid fonts that are too tiny. If you use tinny fonts that are too small then the users from mobile will face trouble and this is a major ranking issue. Keep a balance of the text color and the background color of your web page. To know more about the rules of your texts and its colors you can check out googles guideline here.
- Headings- Headings are the things you have to consider most not only when you are applying SEO over your website but also to navigate your users from SERP. Different headings of different webpages will help your users to find the exact thing they are looking for.
- Bullet Points- If you have to show a list then you can use bullet points. Users will find it easy when figuring out their demands.
- Supporting Media- Try to use all the formats of content, which are essential and suitable for your website. The more varieties you can offer, people will do check your content frequently.
Formatting could help you to show up on featured snippet positions and its not magical. If you are done with proper formatting using the methods that we have discussed you can get this easily. Let’s make an example. If you want to make a comparison between “iPhone vs Samsung” then your webpage must contain a table that will show the differences between these two tech giants.
- Title Tags- A page’s title tag is an HTML element where the title of that particular page has implemented. Each page of your website must contain a unique title tag. The texts you will put there will show up with your search results and in the tap of your website. Here is an example of how it looks like: “”
Title tags create an impression in people’s minds about your website and one of the major concerns to get a better rank on SERP. Let us show you some fundamentals of good title tag-
- Using keywords- If you can put your keywords over your title then it will be helpful for both users and search engines to understand the topics you are talking about.
- Length- Search engine shows mainly the first 40-60 characters of the title tags in SERP. If you crossed the provided limits of characters then “…” will appear on SERP.
- Brand Promoting- If you can then you can use your title tag to promote your brand. Choose a keyword that is highly related to your business and put it in a way that doesn’t conflict the simplicity.
- Meta Descriptions- It’s partly similar to the title tags because it’s an HTML element too. It describes the content on a particular page that the users are looking for. Like if you search “how to make pizza” then some results will show up and the blue bold prints are title tags there and the short descriptions underneath of the title tags are its meta description. Let’s find out the methods, you can make your meta description catchy and productive.
- Relevancy- When you are about to write meta descriptions for your page, then make sure it is absolutely related to the content of your webpage. Try to summarize the whole thing in a short form here. This is the way your searcher will find you at their first glance.
- Length- Search engines allow approximately 150 characters as your meta description. You can write within 300 characters to fill your branding there. If there is a featured snippet over you and you are the first organic result then Google can show more characters.
4.8 URL Structure: How to name your website?
The abbreviation of URL is Uniform Resource Locator and its work is hiding within the text itself. Every content or webpages have a unique URL. Along with title tags and meta descriptions, URL appeared on the search engines and this is why the naming of your URL is important. It affects the CTR ( click-through-rate ) of your website. Naming and organizing your URL is essential to maintain two major parts users decide to enter your website and search engine’s map to provide a better rank. Here in this section, we will walk through some principals of structuring your URL-
- Naming- As we have said earlier each of your pages gets their own unique URL but the thing is, they need to be clear on their naming. So do not confuse your users by using code signs on your URL. Maybe it could be a minor ranking factor but the audience will see your name first before they make a move: be better.
- Organization- If your page has multiple topics to discussed then nest the webpages according to its relevancy. Because the nesting will help the users to navigate the whole website properly and of course the search engine crawlers too.
- Length- Well, it’s not necessary to obtain a short URL but there are tools offering you a short URL for your website. As users always prefer short URLs in most of the time, so try to minimize the body of your URL by truncating unnecessary folders.
- Keywords in URL- If you are working for a targeted sector and have a specific keyword, then do not forget to implement it over your URL. Try not to over-stuff your URL with keywords because it will look irrelevant then. Think about your user’s mind, is it looks like a natural?
4.9 HTTP and HTTPS
A protocol is the preceding of the domain name of your website. Now, as you know HTTP stands for HyperText Transfer Protocol and the “S” stands for “secure”. This is why Google and other search engines prefer the “HTTPS://” protocol. To get this “secure” certificate you need to have your SSL certificate.
If you have completed your reading so far then you have crossed almost half of your journey to learn your SEO guidelines. Let’s jump into the next chapter and discover a brief about Technical SEO.
Chapter 5: Technical Search Engine Optimization
Technical SEO will prepare your website to make understandable by search engines. In the previous chapters you have gained knowledge about the way you need to assemble your content and the utilization of your keyword, here in this chapter we will discuss the full guideline to make your website machine-readable.
Well, if you provide developers to optimize your website, then you must encounter with the technical knowledge of SEO. This is how you can be in communication with them about the technical aspects of your website you have to change or develop. While you are serving your visitors as well as you have to make sure that your website is readable by the google bots also.
To ease your whole journey through this chapter, we have spread the whole section withing three major concepts, here they are-
- The working procedure of websites.
- How do search engines understand websites?
- How the interaction between user and website happens?
It’s essential to know the principles of technical SEO cause the performance of your website depends on this. You can share this guideline with the content creators and the programmers to gather some extra knowledge about the construction policy of your website.
Working Procedure of Websites
Here we will discuss the working procedure of a website from the very beginning. We are considering this as your SEO knowledge following these issues-
- This section will teach you that, the page loading speed and time are not only important to keep your users on your website but also its a major ranking factor!
Page loading speed is very vital to keep your users. You can rank a better position and grab more visitors to your website, but when they will notice that it’s taking a long time to load the page, they will leave. To avoid this scenario, we will share the concept of being ready for a website in the next segment.
5.1 Setting Up of a Website
- Purchasing a Domain name- Domain name like localmybiz.com should be purchased from a register like Godaddy. They will register your domain name against your choosing name.
- Linking Domain name to IP address- You have to list your domain name is a domain name server which will give you a unique IP address. When a machine will read the name it can’t understand the alphabetic value of your website, instead, it will look for a binary value.
5.2 How a website show in the Browser?
This is a pretty decent procedure to follow. From the first step till the last in implements commands consequently. If we assembled the commands. It will more likely to be this-
- When a user requests a domain into the search box of a search engine by the name of that particular website.
- Then the browser will make a request to the DNS server and the name will convert to IP address to follow the URL of that particular website.
- When the server finds the website then it sends the elements to the browser to assemble the webpage.
- After getting the resources from the server, the browser creates a DOM ( document object model ) and then a user can see the webpage. DOM is mainly when you right-click on a webpage and then click the inspect.
- Browser requests for more resources if it needs to show-up the whole website, based on the user’s demand.
- After getting the whole procedure done, your desired webpage appears in front of you.
When you have a bit of knowledge of how a website visible on a browser, you need to know about the basic codes ( programming languages ) of a website. There are mainly three of the languages most used in any sort of website. Let’s check it out-
- HTML ( HyperText Markup language )
HTML shows the concept of your website. This language considered the backbone of your website because paragraph, title, lists, and content all defined here within the HTML. It’s an important platform when you are concerned about an SEO campaign because you are working here on the platform to provide every element for your website. It also affects the sooner you get crawled by the search engines.
- CSS ( Cascading Style Sheets )
CSS designated for the look of your website. Which includes the colors, font, and layouts. HTML is used for the content designing method; on the other hand, CSS is responsible for the appearance of the elements there. This is the reason you can beautify your webpages using this language. Especially if you have to handle a large website then you should go with CSS as an interior designing tool. The benefits of using CSS have mentioned here-
- You can hide style directives on CSS, which will help you to make sure a faster page loading speed.
- It makes your website content-heavy instead of code-heavy.
- With a faster loading page, you are certainly getting noticed by the search engine bots quickly while crawling.
Let’s get back to the earlier days of the internet. Back then a website could only be created with HTML only. After coming to the CSS, the content had got visible styles according to their types.
5.3 How Search Engines Understand Your Website?
When the search engine is crawling one of your content its like tasting unknown food for the first time. Its time to know about “Schema Markup” then. It navigates the search engines with a detailed portion of your webpages.
This is actually a way to understand what your website is up to or what type of service it provides. It provides structures over your data. JSON_LD is a preferred schema markup for both Google and Bing and if you are looking for other schema mark-ups then you can visit Schema.org.
It does not only help the bots to understand your content but also performs to bring you on the position on “featured snippet” when you can get free inbound linking from Google itself. Let’s look on some tips you can be better with your Schema Markup-
- You can implement several types of schema markup on your webpage, according to your necessity.
- Do not mark up the areas or content which are not visible to your readers.
- If you are using duplicate pages over your website, markup all of them including canonical tag.
- On your structured data pages, try to provide original content.
- Be specific about the schema markups, remember the relevancy.
- Do not write markup reviews by yourself.
If you have the same content on your different webpages, google gets confused about which one to index in the SERP. This is why the term “canonicalization” was invented to help search engines understand and index the original version.
Canonicalization navigates the search engines to the original content. When you are thinking of re-publishing one of your pages, then this tag could be the most needed one. If you get successful with canonicalization then every webpage and portion will get their unique URL. Never try any duplicate content over your website or copy content because it could cause you a penalty.
In many cases, you will have to apply this tag inside your webpage, Like if you are running an e-commerce platform then there will be a thousand pages that will hold similar features. In that case, you have to use different units to map the products. As people will do search faceted navigation, you have to provide different URLs in different cases. In that case, you can utilize the canonical tags you have used.
5.5 How Users Encounter with Websites?
From the very beginning of this guideline, we are saying that an optimized website is acceptable for both the searchers and search engines. If you can satisfy your searchers you can get a better rank and search engines mainly use hundreds of factors to determine the best possible website. If you know how can you make your website search engine friendly then let’s assemble all of then to ensure the ease of using them-
- Mobile-Friendly Website- As half of the web traffic comes from mobile devices, you have to ensure that you are providing a website which has a clear navigation capability from mobile. Google in its recent algorithms announced that the websites which got mobile-friendliness will get extra benefits while ranking.
- Impressive Design – A quality design ensures that it will be suitable for any sort of device when someone will open your website. Using “CSS” will help you provide responsiveness to your interior. If you are not sure that your device is mobile-friendly, then you can check this out through free tools.
- Mobile-First Indexing- This is not the “mobile-friendliness” feature though they are quite the same. With mobile-first indexing, Google crawls your website and makes it ready for mobile users first.
5.6 Solve Your Images to solve your Slow Page
We have discussed earlier that the images could be the reason for your slow-loading page. Along with optimizing image format, using the alt tag, and submitting an image sitemap; there are some technical issues you can use to provide better speed when submitting an image to your users-
- srcset- A set of attributes that can allow you to provide multiple versions of your images and then you can decide the images according to its sizes and platforms. These attributes lie in HTML code.
- Show your users an image while loading your webpage– When your user will hit a heavy webpage try to provide an image related to your website, during the loading time.
5.7 Improve your website for International Users
The moment you have created a website for your business, you have gone Global. If your websites cater to users from different regions then you should practice international SEO. Except for the SEO, these users will find difficulties while browsing your website. Here we will discuss two major things you can look for your foreign clients-
- Language- As your users use different languages, you have to use an international language. There is a tag named “hreflang”, you can show Google that, your website has a copy for other languages.
- Country- When you will target users from several countries, you should have unique URLs to serve the customers from different regions. Like, Google.co.in or Google.co.au.
You have researched your keywords, written your content, optimize the interior of your website, used several tags based on their works! now, its time to move forward to establish the authority of your website. Looking forward to encountering Chapter 6.
Chapter 6: Link Building
In the previous chapters, we have discussed the way of finding keywords, the making of content, and how to optimize the design of your website. Here we will share the method of building the authorization of the whole qualities you have gained and only then your website will be ready to get ranked.
Link Building and Organized Content are two of the important factors of getting a healthier rank among the three. To outrank your website you need to gain authorization and link building is the way you can do this. Trustworthy websites need to get a link from other trustworthy sites to ensure that people will believe in them because the internet has got a huge collection of spam sites. To look forward, you need to what are Links and how it works!
6.1 What Are Links On A Website?
If you go to an unknown city and ask three different people, “what is the best pizza in town?” and if they say “Dominos” then you can get the trust that, this pizza is really something I can go with. Well, this is how a link works. There are two major types of linking while doing SEO. One of them is Internal Linking and the other one is Inbound Linking; which is also known as Backlinking.
Building links is considering a major factor from the late ’90s to gain popularity in the Internet world. This is the time you need to get introduced to the concept of E-A-T.
E-A-T stands for expertise, authority, and trust! Which are the basic components Google checks while you are promoting your brand? To ensure a higher value in these three major areas, you have to create a website that considered expert, authoritative, and trustworthy.
When your website will carry a handsome amount of links within itself then the trustworthiness will gain. For example, you can see “Wikipedia”. There are millions of websites that provide a backlink to this site, which indicates Wikipedia provides data that is trustable.
6.3 Link Profile and Followed Vs. Non-followed Link
Your link profile describes the whole section of the inbound links of your website that you have gained. Which includes the number of links, diversity of the gained links, and their quality. This will help the search engines to understand how your website is mapping with those links.
We have talked over this topic before in chapter 2. Do you remember the process? The attribute named “nofollow” will prevent the crawlers to follow the link of your website. But your link will not pass link equity and your search engine can determine a bird’s-eye view over your whole linking.
6.4 How to ensure that you are getting Healthy Links?
There are several websites that used to have fake linking to their websites and they worked in some cases. This artificial linking is so dangerous because they lie against the Google webmaster guidelines which can cause the deindex your webpages.
When you provide a healthy link, search engines will get that you are earning those links and working hard for your authorization. Here we will show you the facts that you need to show to your search engines to amplify the success of your website through link building-
- Links are Earned- As you have earned editorial links, that means these links are added naturally over your website. Through high-quality content that people are admiring to reference. This is why you need to create 10x content and then people will naturally provide a link.
- Links are from the same category websites- If you get a link from the websites which are providing similar services as you, then it will be more effective. Like if you are running a salon then a website who is selling hair products could give a link to your website and it will gain trustworthiness.
- Your Anchor Text is descriptive- Anchor texts mainly help search engines to understand the subject of your website. If you got dozens of same links then it could turn into obstacles to your website and could count as spam.
- You are gaining Customers through your links- Link building is not the only aspect to get a higher rank over search engines, instead, it can help your business to gather more audiences.
6.5 Things to Avoid while Building Links
Do you practice spammy link profiles? Which includes-unnatural, sneaky, and low-quality links. If you buy links or connect with a link exchange company, it will consider the same. This will be death risky for your website because Google penalizes sites that got spammy links.
Google wants to earn your link, not to built them thyself. This is why the term ‘link building” stands for. Here we will look over some don’ts while you are working for your links-
- Purchasing links- If you are paying to get links from Google and Bing, you can get a better rank on your relevant search but the thing is, search engines can’t directly determine which link is paid and which is earned. This is why they operate some tactics. If search engines identified your website is buying links from other websites, then both of you could be penalized.
- Exchanging Links- While working for your website, you can often get emails like that, if you are giving me a link, I will also give you one and that means someone is looking to exchange links with you. Google is able to identify that if you are working with the same website repeatedly.
- Low-Quality Links- There are several websites which can offer you low-quality links in the market. These websites use some keywords to find similar websites and then offer them to provide links in exchange with money. Google and Bing have listed these websites and they are doing marking regularly.
6.6 How to Build Healthy and Quality Links
When you are concerned about building healthy links, it could come in versatile sizes and shapes. But, the techniques you need to follow is quite the same as others. Here we will visit you through some tactics you have to follow while doing your inbound linking-
- Find Your Customer Link- If you have your business partners, whom you are working with many times or your satisfied customers, you can get links from them. You can offer them partnership badges or offer to write testimonials of their products. This is the thing they can show on their websites by giving you a link.
- Publish a Blog- This is a way you can utilize the full of your website. Blogs have their own ability to grab a customer’s mind and your satisfied customers will give you a link from anywhere on the web. You need to be careful though to avoid low-quality guest postings.
- Create Resources- Creating unique resources are not that easy! You need to create completely new content along with these aspects present on the piece-
- Involved strong emotions.
- A unique thought.
- Visually Seductive.
- Location Specific.
When you are working for the creation of resources that indicate there will be enough link. Make a list with those websites and grow a healthy relationship with those companies because, at the end of the day, these earned links will make you trustworthy among your users.
- Getting Involved with Local Community- When you are operating a local business then your customers are your lifeblood. This is why you certainly need to get attached to some local communities. Here we will share some fields you can look forward-
- Try to engage with sponsorship or some scholarships.
- Try to host events, seminars, workshops.
- Post jobs and give young students to do an internship in your company.
- Try to engage local businesses that provide crafts the same as you and try to find your goal together.
- Refurbish Your Top Content- You know what are the content your website get ranked for. Take those content and refurbish it over other media like quora, youtube, Instagram, Slideshare, etc. You can refurbish and publish those content on the same platform too. Try to change some write-ups, images, or infographics which are appealing.
- Be Genuine with News- To earn the attention of bloggers and news publishers are the absolutely perfect way to get links. Keep in a touch with these platforms when you are about to launch a new product/service or to plan to make content viral.
Well, sending emails is one of the most effective ways to grab the attention of your customers; at the same time, spammy emails are everywhere. To ensure positive feedback from your emails, we could try some tips-
- Try to leave a personal touch on the content you are working on to your clients. Write about their workplaces.
- Let them know about the difficulties they can face in the upcoming days.
- Keep your body short.
6.7 Improving your Link Potentiality
So far we have discussed the importance of earning links for your website and some common tips for them. Now, here in this segment, we will show you how you can utilize those efforts and ensure a benefit for your website. Let’s put a look-
- The Number of Links you have Earned- This is the way to measure the development of your place by earning links to know the number of links you have got. If you have forgotten the numbers, try to use some tools which will inform you of the correct number spelling.
- Have you generated 10x content- Try to make your content more valuable than other ones and make this strategy applicable for all of them. Take a look back to your content which got ranked and learns what to bring next.
- Have you done your promotion yet- You could find it tough in the case of link building. When people will know about your content and ser a mindset to link you is a challenge.
- The number of your links- You really know the number of links you need to gain for the betterment of your website. To know more do a SERP analysis of your website. You will get a benchmark result to identify how many links do you need.
- The quality of your links- You probably know that one link from a high-authorized website is 10 times better against 10 links from low-quality websites. That proves that quantity is nothing and while you are searching backlinks try to prioritize domain and page authority.
6.8 How Authorization will make an impact on your website!
When you are getting busy with collecting links to build trust, you are also branding your company passively. This is because you are spreading your business aspects to the people and getting their feedbacks over your business.
When your customers will have a clear perspective over your business and you have a rich website, let more people know about this. How can you start? You can share your content over social media. That not only inform them about your upcoming products/services to your customers but also build an awareness system among them about the business.
Sharing your content will not provide you another link but if you are able to send your message to the right people you are certainly bringing customers to your business.
When you will gain the trust of your customers, this is going to put a huge impact on your website by search engines. Search engines will look over the links assigned in your domain. Along with trustworthiness, there are several advantages you can get when listing these all-
- Awareness about your business.
- The integrity of your business.
- Quality of the content.
- Voice over audio.
- Sentimental touch.
6.9 Reviewing Your Website
We are almost at the end of our chapter and the last thing we want to share with you is important. And this is “getting review”. To get reviews and implement over the website; we have figured out some tips for you, that will help you to solve issues with the review-
- Never came with a contract with some company to exchange reviews.
- Do not review your own business website and tell your employers not to do so also.
- Don’t say anyone/any company to leave positive reviews for your business.
- All of your reviews must be coming from your customers.
- Read your reviews and answer all the questions of your customers in a proper manner.
Authorization is important when you want to bring a positive change in the real-life business world and satisfying customers with proper services. In our next cha[ter we will share the methods you can utilize all the things you have learned before. Let’s see, what is waiting for you.
Chapter 7: Measuring your SEO Success
If you have the ability to measure something, you are definitely capable to do the betterment on that thing. It’s also the same when you are applying the same scenario while you are implementing SEO. You have to put your eyes from the very beginning to the last and know your vision.
7.1 Client Questions to your Website.
The way you can know that your preference for fulfilling the user’s intent is to ask them or think like them to get answers. Here are some client questions which will reveal your service to them and satisfaction to ensure your growth to yourself-
- Can you share the brief history of your company with them?
- What are your most profitable services/products?
- The monetary value of newly launched products of your company.
You need to keep the answers to all these questions before understanding your primary goal and the areas you need to develop.
7.2 Measuring Your SEO Success
After setting your primary goal, you have to evaluate the specif metrics which are helping you to reach your goal. Here we will discuss some engagement metrics to that you help you to ensure a better pulse of the website-
- Conversion Rate- This rate is determined by the number of conversions divided by the number of visitors. You can count almost anything of your business by conversion rate itself. Like email sign-up, account creation, purchasing, etc. When you will have the accurate data on your conversion rate it will be easy for you to gauge ROI ( return on investment ) of the business.
- Time On Page- This is the way to know the exact time people are spending on your page. Like, if you have a 2500 word blog and people are spending only 10 seconds on that page, it’s like they haven’t read the whole blog. But it will not applicable for all types of pages on the website.
- Bounce Rate- Bounce rate indicates a ratio that the user visits a specif page of the website and then left without visiting the whole website. People do believe that they have to maintain a lower bounce rate, but this metric doesn’t allow you to know about the actual user experience.
- Scroll Depth- This metric shows how far users scroll specific pages of your website. If they are scrolling down to the major topic? if not you better replace the content to attract users.
- Search Traffic- Ranking is a vital demand from a website, but what if you are not getting visitors? To determine the numbers of your organic searchers, try to Google Analytics.
7.3 Using of Google Analytics
Google Analytics is a platform to check all most every analytical thing of your website. Here in this section, we will discuss some of the basic features and as well as aspects of this tool that can help you out in more ways to expand the website’s state. Here we go-
- Isolated Organic Traffic- You can see the number of visitors to your site by channel and compare them to improve.
- Traffic Over Time- If you are getting more traffic over a specif period of time you can check it here.
- Individual Page Visitings- You can check the visits of individual pages of your website and determine the necessary improvements.
- Click-Through Rate- Its important to the CTR of your specif webpages form SERP to make a change to other pages.
7.4 Some More SEO Metrics
We have talked about the most common metrics which you might need to face while doing SEO or optimizing your website to participate in the challenging field. Let’s dig about some old school metrics of SEO, which you need to encounter every time-
Keyword Ranking- As you have come along to the last chapter, you have heard this word many times before. Your website’s position on the ranking based on specif keywords. This can include featured snippets and people also ask boxes.
Number of Backlinks- In our previous chapter we have already talked on this fact. A total number of links that your websites have received. These two metrics are known as link metrics and in the next segment, we will let you know about the auditing of your website through SEO.
7.5 Using of SEO Website Audits
When you have absolute knowledge over some important things like your current position, how searchers are a connection with your website, are they satisfied? is the interior of your website mind-boggling?- so when you have your answers then probably you are knowing about SEO opportunities. To help you out on this topic, here are some tools you need to know about-
- Google Search Console- To verify your website by Google, have an account on Google search console. You can see and check your reports on your website to make an improvement.
- Bing Webmaster Tools- Pretty similar to Google search console with featured tools. You can get all the necessary tools to improve your website on Bing here.
- Lighthouse Audit- It’s an automated tool from Google which will give you the opportunity to measure your webpage’s health. Which includes website performance, web apps, accessibility, and others.
- PageSpeed Insights- This tool uses data from the lighthouse audit and then manipulate them on real user measurement ( RUM ).
- Web.dev- This is the community of Google developers and there are versatile tools you can search to make the process continue.
Well, sometimes you would find that you are not going through every tool because it’s not possible to give visitors all of these and some of them are doing the same thing. Here we will share again the most important aspects you need to follow during this journey –
Crawlability- In every angle you need to make sure that your website is ready for crawling by the search engine bots. Are you accidentally blocks google or bing bots to read your webpages? Look over your sitemap immediately.
Indexed Pages- Are your webpages foundable on SERP? Check this out over “ site:yoursite.com“ or if you want to check the specific page the “ site:yoursite.com/specific-page “. If you see any problems over there, make sure that you are not using the “noindex” or “nofollow” command.
Page Titles and Meta Descriptions- Are you doing well with all the page titles and meta descriptions of your page? Check out the CTRs using the Google search console. Try to improve the pages and provide 10x content.
Page Speed- How your website is performing in Mobile devices? Make sure your service is worth to all of your users.
Quality of your Content- Are your content meeting the requirements of your audience? Try to provide 10x better than your competitor’s. Try to follow the rules we have talked over the second chapter.
Conducting Keyword Research- We have mentioned before that keyword researching and knowing your competitors will bring you advantages in so many ways. To ensure, you just need to encounter these questions-
- Which keywords are there to getting rank by your competitors?
- What are the keywords, your page has raked for? Have they got featured snippets? If not, try to obtain it.
- Which Websites are giving a link to your competition and why aren’t you getting those?
7.6 SEO Planning
When you are fixing your investment in doing SEO, most of your time will be spent to map the whole procedure. Try to figure out the initial steps you need to take. List them all in a sheet then start from the very first thing. There are so many methods you can apply but you have to choose the appropriate one which is the most suitable for your website.
You can use the metrics we have mentioned above and find results and the faults that are existing over there. These will help you to monitor success. There are several ways your CTR could be fall, so look before your eyes to find the issue and quickly solve them.
7.7 Communication is Essential
Users are your lifeblood in all cases you are improving your website. This is why it’s important to always keep in touch with your users. Employ a better skill of communication around your SEO overall.
Well, we are at the end of our SEO guide and want to congratulate you on reading all sections thoroughly. In our next segment, we will share with you a quick to do lineup to arrange all the things to give a kick on your plan.
7.8 Quick To-do List
You need to get your hands dirty the moment you are diving into your SEO campaign. To serve your customers and get a better position are somehow connected in the same pine. Let’s have a look over the topics to summarize your journey-
- Try to sort out the architecture of your website, UI, UX, and other necessary stuff before you start your campaign.
- Some initiative to take-
- Know your goals and rules of SEO.
- Ensure the crawlability and indexing of your website.
- Focus on research your keyword.
- Look after your up-gradation for On-page SEO.
- Apply technical SEO in all the way.
- Build links.
- Use SEO Metrics and analyze your website’s performance.
- Always keep your performance on testing.
- Refurbish your content sometimes.
- Focus always on your technical SEO.
- Find a Community to learn something new always.
- Know what tactics will be applicable for your website and keep practicing for the betterment.
SEO Terms and their Meanings [SEO Glossary]
You probably have a clear perspective on your SEO journey now. BY knowing the ins and outs of this journey could be hard sometimes and this is why we are here to make ease. Here in this chapter, we have assembled all of the aspects together by giving a short brief. Let’s have a look-
10 blue links- This was the way Google used to show the results and they have contained 10 organic results in the same format against a search.
Traffic- Visits to a website.
SERP- Search Engine Results Pages.
SERP Features- Results that showed in a non-standard format.
Organic Traffic- Traffic that comes automatically against the paid advertisements.
Query- Words that have typed into the search box.
Local Pack- A pack that consists of three local results against your local intent search. Like “gas station near me”.
KPI- Its a measuring value to understand how your website or organization is doing on a specific field.
People Also Ask Boxes- It’s a box includes related questions with your search. It’s a featured Snippet form.
Crawling- this is the process of how search engines ( search bots ) check your webpages.
Google My Business Listing- It’s a free listing for local businesses that includes maps.
Indexing- Storing your content in the database which are found during crawling.
URL- Uniform Resource Locator, are the uniques addresses of every webpage on the internet.
White Hat SEO- SEO practices comply with Google Webmaster Guidelines.
Black Hat SEO- SEO practices: do not follow webmaster guidelines and try to earn ranks by fooling the search engine.
2xx Status Codes- A set of HTML codes that indicates your request for a page is succeed.
4xx Status Codes- A set of HTML codes which indicates your request for a page got an ” ERROR”
5xx Status Codes- A set of HTML codes that indicates your request for a page could not be performed by the server due to some reasons.
Backlinks ( Inbound Links )- Links from other websites that link to your website.
Caching- a stored version of your webpage.
Bots- which are also known as crawlers or spiders. Which read your webpage and help them indexing.
Local Citation- Online mentioning of your business’s full contact information.
Cloaking- Showing dissimilar content to the search engines from your users.
HTML- Hypertext Markup Language is the core language to build a website.
Google Search Console- A place to review your website’s performance in all the way.
Index- A database that has stored all of the content that search crawlers have stored and which is able to serve the customers instantly.
Internal Links- Links you are using on your own website to indicate the other pages of your website.
Google Penalty- It’s a negative impact over the rankings of a website on the SERP over based on Google search algorithm updates or manual reviewing.
Meta Robots Tag- Codes that instruct the crawler on performing over a website.
X-robots Tag- Same as meta robots tag which instructs crawlers on performing.
Navigation- A set of rules which will help your audience to navigate your whole website.
NoIndex tag- It’s a meta tag that used to stop the search engines from indexing the page it has commanded.
Sitemap- A list of URLs of your website. These URLs help the crawlers to crawl and index the content.
RankBrain- Its a machine learning system of Google’s algorithm which helps to sort the websites according to their relevance against a search.
Keyword Difficulty- It could be a numerical value that indicates how difficult it is for a website to outrank others.
Local Queries- Searches intent with finding a specific location for services. Like “ hair salons in Michigan“
Long-tail Keywords- Long queries: consists of more than three words.
Search Volume- The number of searches for a keyword ( within a month )
Seasonal trends- Keywords that get hit after a certain period after. Like, “Best Halloween Costumes”.
Alt Text- Alternative text is the text which describes the images within HTML code.
Anchor Text- Text inside a link that routes you to a webpage.
Duplicate Content- Content that is duplicate and staying different webpages of the same or completely different website.
Auto-Generated Content- Content that generated automatically.
Header Tag- An HTML element used to navigate the headings of your webpage.
Image Compression- Way of speeding up your website by minimizing the size of an image.
Image Sitemap- A sitemap that contains only the image URLs on a website.
Keyword-Stuffing- Excess use of keywords on content and codes.
Meta Description- HTML elements of a webpage that describes the major concept of a specific webpage. These descriptions could be used as a search description on SERP.
Local Business Schema- A set of structured data markup which stays in a webpage and helps search engines to understand the main business.
Panda- It’s a Google algorithm to identify poor content.
Redirection- It is the process of forwarding to a different URL from the requested one.
Thin-Content- Content that is poor and can’t satisfy the users.
SSL Certificate- A Secure Sockets Layer which encrypts data that passes between a web browser and web server.
Title Tag- An HTML tag that defines the page title within code.
AMP- Accelerated Mobile Pages are designed to make a quick loading experience on mobile.
Client-side & Server-side Rendering- It defines the places where the code runs. Client-side rendering indicates the files are executing on the client’s side or in the browser. On the other hand, server-side rendering means the files are executing on the server and then sent into the browser.
CSS- Cascading Style Sheet identifies how a website will look like.
DNS- Domain Name Server translates the domain names to IP addresses.
DOM- Document Object Model defines how the document ( raw ) can be accessed.
Faceted Navigation- Offers a number of sorting options together to narrow down your specific search. Often uses over E-commerce websites.
Hreflang- is a tag that helps Google to find out the language of a website.
Mobile-first Indexing- A webmaster guideline of Google. Has announced and applying from 2018.
srcset- A tag that will help your website to show pictures in different modes based on situations.
Schema.org- wraps the elements of your webpages to help search engines a better view. The data here are known as “structured” data.
Rendering- is the way how a browser turns out the code into a visible look.
10x Content- describes the content that is 10 times better than the existing content on the same topic.
Deindexed- When a URL or the entire domain gas got removed from the index, then its called deindexing. This could happen for so many reasons.
Directory Links- Its an aspect of local business SEO. A list of all local businesses including the NAP ( name, address, phone number ) data.
Editorial Links- When your website earns link naturally and the author gives it by themselves then it could be known as an editorial link.
Google Analytics- It’s a user-oriented platform and provides you data according to your visitors like using which channel most of your users are coming from.
Google search operators- special cases to specify your searches on Google. like, if you add “site:” before your domain name, the results will show how many pages of your website have got indexed.
Guest Blogging- It’s a link building strategy when you need a backlink you have to write to your author’s website to earn a link from their websites.
Link Building- Its more naturally link earning. The way you earn links from others is known as link building
Link Profile- This is a place where you can describe all the inbound links of your website.
NoFollow- This is a tag to stop crawlers from indexing a link.
Purchased Link- A link that will contain add and also considered as no-follow. These links get their value by exchanging money.
Resource Pages- These pages contain useful links to other websites.
Bounce Rate- The percentage of the first visit and then do not appear the secondary session of your website could be count as a bounce rate. Like, if a user clicked on your homepage and then leaves without visiting any other pages then it will increase your bounce rate.
Channel- Channel shows the paths your website is getting traffic like paid advertisements, social platforms
Clickthrough Rate- is the number of clicks against the number of your ad that has been shown to your users.
Conversion Rate- is the ratio of visits against the numbers of conversions.
Time On Page- This metric to measure how much time someone has spent on one of your web pages before proceeding to another one.
Scroll Depth- Its a method which will track how depth your visitors are tracking your website.
Search Traffic- Visits sent to be the Search engines to your website.
I’m a Professional Local SEO Specialist, Team Leader of LocalMyBiz, a Trusted Local SEO Agency with over 7 years of industry experience. I understand what it takes to get your website #1. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have! Let me help you build and strengthen your online presence.